HEALTH FADS
Is Krill Oil Good For You?
April 27, 2013
By Sano Mag Staff
Shrimp
Taking krill oil supplements is a health fad that only seems to have emerged recently.

As the word on krill oil has got out over the last couple of years, worldwide demand for krill oil has increased substantially. You might have even heard it mentioned somewhere before.

If that's the case, have you been wondering whether you should take krill oil? Have you been wondering what krill oil actually is? Or whether bottling krill oil is sustainable? Find out the answers below.

What is Krill Oil?

Krill are small shrimp-like crustaceans that are about 1-6cm long. They live in the ocean and are eaten by fish, birds, seals, squid, penguins and whales. Krill feed on phytoplankton, and are believed to have the largest biomass of any multi-cellular animal in the world. Female krill lay up to 10,000 eggs at a time.

Krill oil, which is naturally found in krill, is extracted and sold in the form of a nutritional supplement, often in capsule form. Krill oil has become popular because it is high in omega 3 fatty acids, and the antioxidant astaxanthin.

There is a concern that the recent popularity of krill oil could deplete its supply and threaten the population of its predators, particularly whales, seals and penguins.

However, krill harvesting is very well regulated in order to protect the ecosystem. Less than 2% of the precautionary catch limit of 6.6 million tons is actually harvested each year. Also, of the krill harvested each year, around 88% goes into sport fishing bait and fish farms. The remaining 12% is sold for human consumption, and just 1% is used to make krill oil supplements.

Is Krill Oil Better Than Fish Oil?

The main reason people take krill oil is because it is very high in omega 3 fatty acids. But if that's the case, why don't you just take fish oil or eat plenty of fish?

While the omega 3 fats in fish oil are found in the triglyceride form, in krill oil they are in the phospholipid form, the same as in human cell walls. This means they are much easier to absorb.

Also, unlike fish oil, krill oil also contains vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin E, and the potent antioxidant astaxanthin. In fact, the antioxidant potency of krill oil has been found to be 48 times more potent than fish oil, according to an independent study.

The other important point to take into consideration when seeking to add omega 3s into your diet is the prevalence of contaminants found in our fish supply. With fish, you have the risk of mercury, heavy metals and radioactive poisons also entering your system.

What are the Health Benefits of Krill Oil?
  • Low levels of omega 3 have been found in those suffering from depression
  • Krill oil may prevent premature death from coronary heart disease and stroke
  • The omega 3s found in krill oil are particularly good for children with learning disabilities
  • Krill oil can also help children short bowel syndrome
  • Krill oil can help treat essential fatty acid deficiency in infancy
  • In one study, krill oil was found to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) by 34% and increase good cholesterol (HDL) by 43.5%, compared with fish oil at 4.6% and 4.2% respectively. Krill also lowered triglycerides
  • The omega 3s in krill oil may be beneficial to people with autoimmune disorders
  • Krill oil may also help people with the inflammatory bowel disease Crohn's disease
  • Krill oil may reduce the risk of breast, colon, and prostate cancers
  • A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found krill oil was effective at reducing arthritis symptoms
  • Preliminary research also suggests krill oil may help reduce the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
As you can see, krill oil is beneficial for pretty much everyone. However, not everyone may be comfortable taking krill oil supplements. Luckily there are other sources of omega 3 fatty acids, such as plant sources. Chia seeds are also very high in omega 3s. Find out more about chia seeds here.

If you do decide to take krill oil, make sure you choose a supplement that only includes genuine processed krill. If you are having trouble finding a brand that you are happy with, feel free to email us at info@sanomag.com.au.

"Krill oil was found to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) by 34% and increase good cholesterol (HDL) by 43.5%, compared with fish oil at 4.6% and 4.2% respectively"
Krill Oil – Is it Good for You?